Council as your Certifier (Building Inspector)

Council as your Certifier (Building Inspector)

Before starting approved building works, you need to appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). The PCA is responsible for supervising a development during construction.

On-site inspections must be carried out by the PCA at different stages of construction, including:

  • Reinforcement of footings, slabs, columns etc before concrete placement,
  • Structural framework before covering
  • Stormwater drainage systems before back filling
  • Wet area waterproofing before tiling
  • Operation and placement of essential fire services
  • Final inspection before occupation to ensure conditions have been complied with and the building complies with the Building Code of Australia (BCA)

Kogarah Council has professional staff that can act as your PCA. Council offers:

  • Efficient, streamlined service
  • Professional service
  • Reliability
  • Savings in time and money

Efficient, streamlined service

  • Council has already dealt with the Development Consent and are familiar with the proposal
  • Only Council has the authority to amend or vary the approved Development Consent plans or conditions
  • Council can easily co-ordinate service connections, such as stormwater and external driveways 

Professional Service

  • Council's inspectors have the qualifications, experience, local knowledge and technical back up to ensure that your building work runs smoothly.


  • Council guarantees its inspections will always be carried out on the day that you request. Council is open for business and inspections on all business days in the year and have sufficient staff to cover leave or training commitments of other staff.

Savings in time & money

  • Our inspectors are within 15 minutes of any job in the Kogarah Local Government Area, ensuring prompt and reliable service.
  • Our inspection fees are competitive with the industry average.
  • Inspection fees cover processing and approval of engineering details, essential and other fire safety services, maintenance of construction documentation from approval to occupation and the issuing of a Council Occupation Certificate.