149 Certificates

149 Certificates

Please note: Delays to Processing of S149 Certificates 

The processing of applications for section 149 certificates within Blakehurst and Kogarah Bay wards (formerly Kogarah Council LGA) received on and after 26 May 2017 may be delayed by several days as our system is updated to reflect the new provisions of the New City Plan amendment to Kogarah Local Environmental Plan 2012.

Council will be unable to process urgent certificates during the week commencing 29 May 2017. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience in this matter.


The starting point for all zoning, land use and development enquiries is the Kogarah Local Environmental Plan 2012 (KLEP 2012). Through the zoning tables and the accompanying zoning map, you will be able to work out the range of land uses that are allowed in the zone that affects your property.

To ensure that you have the correct information relating to your property, Council strongly advises that you purchase a Section 149 Zoning Certificate.

Kogarah Council issues two types of certificates.

  • 149(2) certificate
  • 149(2) & (5) certificate

Urgent certificates are able to be requested and are available within 24 hours of the application being received by Council (during normal business hours).
While the planning certificate will state all the relevant planning instruments that apply to the property, it does not specify specific development standards or terms of the instruments. If a development is being proposed, it will be necessary to research thoroughly all of the terms of the planning instruments, which apply to the land.

You can request and pay for certificates using Council's online form. Alternatively, complete the form and return to Council with the appropriate fee to make your application.

Once you have determined what is permissible on your property and are considering a development, you are then required to address the more detailed planning controls of Council's Development Control Plans, such as the Residential Design Guide 2005.

Depending on the works that you are proposing or the location of your property, you may also need to refer to State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPP) or Regional Environmental Plans (REP).