The City of Kogarah has a multicultural community with more than 40% of the population born overseas and a wide diversity of cultural, religious and language groups.
Our dynamic and vibrant city owes much of it's character to it's diverse and multicultural population. Council acknowledges the contributions that people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities have made to the fabric of our city.
Council has a Multicultural Strategy which outlines the framework under which Council implements appropriate and responsive program or services that address the needs of our culturally diverse communities. Programs and activities include:
- Open Days and tours of Council's premises and services to support the settlement process of new arrivals.
- Kogarah City Libraries hold collections in a range of local community languages and offer a variety of programs in key community languages.
- Community Seminars for CALD communities around topics such as safety, community services and health and wellbeing based on their identified areas of interest and need.
- Workshops for small business owners in different community languages.
- Annual major events which showcase and celebrate the diversity of our community such as Australia Day, Chinese New Year and Harmony Day.
- Translated information regarding Councils programs and services, available in primary community languages.
If you are interested in finding out more about any of these programs, please contact Council's Community Development Team on 9330 9551.
Community Development Officer - Chinese Services
A Community Development Officer - Chinese Services, works within Council's Community Development department. This role promotes Council's services to the Chinese community, supports ongoing communication between Council and the Chinese community and organises and assists in community events and activities that support the Chinese community.
To speak with Council's Chinese Services Officer, please call 9330 9464 or email email@example.com.
Home and Community Care (HACC)
There are Home and Community Care (HACC) services in your local area that may be able to assist.
For more information, please click here to download the brochure.