Pets and Animals
Keeping of birds and animals
As the owner of a pet you have a responsibility to ensure that:
- the animal is cared for;
- keeping your pet doesn't adversely interfere with your neighbours amenity or health;
- pets are kept in accordance with legislative and council requirements.
Kogarah City Council has a number of policies that are aimed at ensuring pets are kept in a manner that prevents nusiances to surrounding properties.
Local Order Policy 18 - Keeping of birds and animals
This policy stipulates the requirements to be met when keeping birds and animals, such as dogs, cats, bees or rabbits.
These requirements include:
- the maximum number of animals permitted;
- distance of housing structures from certain buildings;
- other regulations or requirements that must be met, such as cleaning and hygiene;
- advice or recommendations to prevent nuisances.
Failure to comply with these requirments may lead to council issuing an Order Number 18 under Section 124 of the Local Government Act 1993. Failure to comply with an order may lead to legal proceedings.
See: Keeping of Birds and Animals (pdf 164KB)
For further information on dogs and cats, please refer to the companion animals section.
Should you wish to make a complaint or to receive a copy of council's Local Orders Policy, please contact the Customer Service Centre on 9330 9400.